Forum Discussion

rainier.reyes
Icon for Advisely Team rankAdvisely Team
3 months ago

POLL: Advisers, what do you wear to client meetings?

I just listened to the latest episode of the Upfront podcast where financial adviser and host Emmanuel Asuquo chats with personal branding expert Jennifer Holloway. 

It was a fascinating discussion about how the choices you make with attire ultimately influence the level of trust your clients have in your service. The interesting part to me, at least, was not whether you should or shouldn't wear a hoodie to meetings but how consistent wearing said hoodie is with your brand.

So I want to know from the advisers here – what do you wear to client meetings and what impression do you think clients have of what you're wearing? Do you have any stories of mistaken first impressions? 

deborah.kent
    Icon for Advisely Index Top 10 rankAdvisely Index Top 10

This is an interesting question rainier.reyes as an Adviser of 30 plus years what I wear now and what I wore when I started as an Adviser at the young age of 29 is very different, back when I was young it was about wearing suits the right shoes pearl earrings as I felt that I needed to look older and more professional.  What I realized was this was not who I was, so I was not putting my authentic self forward.  I changed my look to wearing nice dress shoes keeping my hair long not tied up with a Jacket if the occasion called for it, no dark colours.  Once I did this, I felt a stronger connection with my clients, today I am the same although much more relaxed sometimes wearing nice, styled jeans shirt and a blazer and nice shoes.  My advice is your authentic self don't try to be someone you are not clients see through this; it's a good lesson I learnt very young

• Totally agree with deborah.kent I also used to wear a suit some 30+ years ago, but for many it was like putting up a barrier, break down that barrier with slightly more casual clothes, whilst still looking professional and my business took off.
    Our advisers definitely do not wear hoodies (unless it's an internal meeting - given we are a virtual business) but the guys will wear a collared shirt, and dress pants, not jeans. They don't wear ties or jackets unless it's cold.
    For the girls it's dress pants usually and a lovely top, nice jewellery and a smile :)
    As I've said to many a client over the years, we are not like your "Collins Street advisers, with a 3-piece suit" we are relatable and will dress accordingly. 
    Make sure you are comfortable in the clothes you are wearing, as that's what will make a difference.

• Hi Rainier, funny enough I agree with Deb and Jenny! I started in the suit and tie band and over the years switched to polo and chinos. We've got branded polos also. Feel's much more relatable for our typical demographics. As per Jenny's comment about Collins Street Advisers, I think if you were based in a CBD dealing with professionals coming from their office regularly, then maybe the suit and tie is the go, however if that's not your clientele then it's probably only going to intimidate a lot of clients.

anne.graham
    Icon for Advisely Index Top 10 rankAdvisely Index Top 10

Hello there - I'm late to the discussion but I agree with deborah.kent jenny.brown and mat.tenison3 standards and expectations have changed a lot over the years. As I get older (wiser?) and more confident in what I do (I'm nearly there but not quite) my clothes are a better reflection of my personality and are also a lot more comfortable. The main change for me over the last few years is not wearing heels daily and accessorising with some hand knitted creations. If I'm feeling a bit fancy, I'll wear a jacket, maybe something more dressy, if I'm in a JFDI mood, then it's more relaxed.

It's also important to lead by example with your team as like it or not, they are taking cues from the leader.